I thought I had coconut cream for this recipe, but it turns out I didn’t. Not wanting to go back to the store, I used lactose-free sour cream and water instead, and it turned out to be really good. You could add more or different vegetables if you have them; spinach, kale, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, etc. would all be good in here.
- 2 lbs. free-range chicken, cooked and shredded (I cooked 1 breast and four drumsticks in a crock pot on low all day with an onion and some Trader Joe’s 21 seasoning salute and it was perfect)
- 1 cup dry rice, cooked
- 1 lb. broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 cup (about 8 large) white mushrooms, cut in half and sliced
- 3 Tbs. butter
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 12 oz. sour cream
- 8 oz. water
- 5 tsp. maharajah curry powder (I’m partial to the Spice House)
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Salt and pepper
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Combine the shredded chicken, cooked rice, broccoli, and mushrooms in a 9 X 13 casserole dish.
Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the chopped onion, and cook for 3-5 minutes or until clear. Add the garlic and cook for a little while longer. Mix the sour cream and water together, then add to the pan. Sprinkle in the curry powder, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Combine and warm until you have a nice sauce.
Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables. Mix together and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes. Brown it under the broiler for a couple minutes before serving.